"Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up. These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name; they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.” Isaiah 55:13

Friday, June 6, 2008

Book Review Friday

I recently started participating in Book Review Friday over at Watch The Sky. All this week we were reading 1 Samuel 27 - 31, over and over again, digging for details, insights, etc. More than anything, when I'm reading the Bible I'm digging for God. It's my practice not to focus on what's going on, but rather on WHO'S going on - which almost always uncovers a lot more of God's character than I would've seen otherwise. Notice I said "usually."
*
This week was the first time in a l-o-n-g time that I saw very little of God. There was LOTS of everybody else

  • David thinking to "himself" (27:1)
  • David's lying over and over again (27)
  • Saul's terror over the Philistine invasion and his seeking the Lord (28:5-6), but the Lord did not answer
  • Saul's decision to call up the dead prophet Samuel via the Witch of Endor (28:8-19) - By the way, it always disturbs me that it worked!
  • Samuel telling Saul that tomorrow "you and your sons will be with me." (28:19) "With me" where? Does he mean joining the dead, or in Heaven, or what? It couldn't be that Saul was headed for Heaven, right? I mean, the Lord had removed His presence from Saul. I didn't dig too deeply on this issue, but the Amplified Translation adds "[among the dead]".
  • David DID seek the Lord in Ch. 30 when deciding to pursue the Amelikites, and trusted His promise of success.

Though I didn't find much that penetrated into my soul this week - and let me just confess that it's been a very funky week for me, feeling scattered and shallow, so I'm sure that had something to do with it - it was still good to have STAYED in the Scriptures and know in faith that the Lord never wastes His Words!
*
It's also strengthening to realize AGAIN that no matter the foolishness of His people, God's purposes will never be left undone. I am one of His foolish daughters, oft distracted from the most important. And yet, He's faithful over and over again to correct me, renew me, love me, and walk with me.

We're turning to Galatians now. It'd be GREAT if you joined us!!

2 Your Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your review Tami! I've also been having a hard time getting more out of my study. I know that being busy is contributing to it. :(
There was a lot of people acting without the Lord's blessing in these chapters. Lesson right there I guess. :) So glad to have you along in studying God's Word!!!
~Shannon
www.watchthesky.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Tami, it's great to see you on BRF. Lots of things to learn and meditate on in God's Word. But He promises in Jeremiah 29:13, "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart". I believe Saul and his sons were saved and that they would be with Samuel in heaven. Samuel was with the Lord. Well this is becoming tooo long for a comment so I will just stop now:)~ Barb
www.happytoknowhim.wordpress.com